The San Diego Paper Box Company (SDPBC), a mainstay of San Diego County, traces a colorful historic timeline. The company currently manufactures folding paperboard boxes utilizing computerized graphics, modern multi-color lithographic equipment, and other advanced technologies. The beginning, however, was notably different.
The company originated over 110 years ago in Boston, Massachusetts, as the Magic Clasp Garter Company, a manufacturer of set-up boxes for garters. Seeking new opportunities in the ‘Wild West’, the founder, Mr. W. A. Stevens, expanded his successful garter factory in 1905 to a second location in San Diego, California.
His goal was to expand the market for his patented garter clasps, however, since San Diego did not have a box company, he purchased box making equipment to make the boxes for his garters. In doing so, he discovered a new market for paper boxes that were needed by other San Diego businesses. As time moved on, the garter business diminished, but the box business flourished. Eventually, the Magic Clasp Garter Company became the San Diego Paper Box Company.